When Storm Clouds Gather series, devotional # 8
Then God said to Noah and his sons, “I solemnly promise you and your children and the animals you have brought with you…that I will never again send another flood to destroy the earth. And I seal this promise with this sign: I have placed My rainbow in the clouds as a sign of My promise until the end of time, to you and to all the earth.” (Genesis 9:8-13 LB)
Noah and his family went through a terrible storm, the flooding of the whole earth. They lost not only their home, but friends and neighbors. It must have been reassuring to know God promised not to destroy everything with another flood, and to see His bow as a sign of that promise when storm clouds gathered. They experienced how the Lord carried them safely through the storm. They saw God’s power and His redemption in their lives.
I have seen God’s power and redemption in my own life. My health is good. I’m cancer free. Relationships that were once tumultuous are now calm and loving. My husband is employed after periods of job losses. It encourages me to know that the Lord keeps His promises, for He is faithful and trustworthy. When storm clouds gather, it helps me to look back at how the Lord has carried me through to the other side. Reading His love letter to us reassures me as I read His promises in Scripture.
Below are some of God’s promises that mean a lot to me. I hope they bring you joy and peace.
- Promises of forgiveness
- I write to you, little children, for your sins are forgiven you for His name’s sake. (I John 2:12)
- Psalm 103 is full of King David’s praise for who the Lord is and His forgiveness.
- Assurance of Salvation
- For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 (RSV)
- Romans 10:8-13 If you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For man believes in his heart and so is justified, and he confesses with his lips and so is saved. Verses 9-10
- God will finish His work in me and in loved ones
- Philippians 1:6; I Thessalonians 5:23-24
- God’s Holy Spirit lives in me
- John 14:15-18
- The Lord will never leave me.
- Matthew 28:20; Hebrews 13:5
- He will guide me:
- He has good plans for me that will give me a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
- God will give me wisdom when I ask without doubting. James 1:2-8
- The Lord will teach and lead me. Psalm 25
- The Holy Spirit will guide me in all truth. John 16:12-15
- The Lord loves and cares for me.
- Psalm 23; I John 4:19; Ephesians 5:25; Psalm 139
- My ultimate future- I will spend eternity with Jesus Christ.
- I Thessalonians 4:13-18; John 14:1-3, 6
- God is faithful to keep His promises
- Hebrews 10:23; Numbers 23:19
What are some of God’s promises that are meaningful to you? May we not just read them, but absorb God’s promises into our lives and cling to them. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10:23 (NKJV)
Dear Lord, I give You thanks for your many promises. I praise You for Your faithfulness. Amen.